Friday, September 24, 2010

Wrapping Up Restaurant Week

I meant to take pen to paper sooner to pass on more juice about Restaurant Week.
Had some free time on Tuesday afternoon and had my first meal ever at Park Central Tavern on Whitney Avenue. It was delightful. Ate so much bread and butter with my lunch that I was so stuffed that I didn't have to have supper. Had a lovely caesar salad for an appetizer. The penne regate was surrounded by a mix of veggies...eggplant, spinach, red pepper, one other veggie and my absolute favorite, aspargus. (My grandmother used to grow it in her garden at our former homestead at Arch and Fitch streets in Hamden's Highwood section.) Dessert? A fruit tart.
Ran into Chamber of Commerce President Nancy Dudchik there, who also was planning to have lunch on Wednesday at Le Petit Gourmet. Town Arts Commission Director Mimsie Coleman and I had already made plans to meet there. Nancy invited the graphic artist who designed the Hamden Restaurant Week logo, Sylvia. We had a lovely time at Le Petit Gourmet. Chamber photographer John Columbus popped in with his wife to shoot a few frames, and Councilman Al and wife Betsy Gorman were among those who dined there that day.
I had a delicious crab cake for an appetizer, the black bean burger with rice salad for the entree and apple crisp for dessert.
Had a few minutes to meander after that and strolled through the gem of Whitneyville, Books & Co.
On Thursday, I had to run an errand that brought me next to DiMatteo's Pizza in the Hamden Plaza at lunchtime. My Restaurant Week goal was to only visit places I had never been, but I let my rule slip a bit. I hadn't had a meal at DiMatteo's (no relation) in quite some time. Had a great fried mozzarella dish for the appetizer. Was happily surprised at my entree, a tasty salmon over arugula. AND, THE RICOTTA PIE WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! May I say it rivaled, or maybe even exceeded, my mother's Eastertime ricotta pie.
After work on Friday night, I arrived at Sono Bana on Dixwell Avenue in the Bank Section just before 9 p.m. The place was packed. I could see the strain of the fast pace on the face of my waitress. In any case, I had the blue shrimp for my appetizer, a 1 roll and 10-piece sushi combo for my entree and cinamon apple roll for dessert. The seaweed salad was the best. The shrimp roll was good. I picked two, two, two, two and two of sushi samples. Couldn't tell you at this point what everything was. I didn't care for one piece of fish, but it wasn't that it didn't taste good. I just got overwhelmed by its consistency a bit. When I go for sushi I'm never really sure what I'm ordering. I wasn't crazy about the fish egg stuff, but again, that's just personal preference. The restaurant itself was very authentic and the service staff competent.
Saturday night, I hope to end Restaurant Week at either Thai Terrace or Ibiza Tapas, two of my very favorites in Hamden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home