Monday, September 3, 2012

Saying Goodbye to the Towns I Love

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, folks.
Things have been hectic, to say the least. And emotional.
As of Tuesday, Sept. 4, I will no longer officially be the Hamden-North Haven reporter for the New Haven Register.You may see me around for a while longer until the Register finds a replacement for me.
Why?
I am the new managing editor of a Register sister paper, The Middletown Press.
Quite a jump from reporter to managing editor. Yes and no. I was the Wallingford bureau chief for the Register from 2000 to 2004, and have held many leadership positions in my volunteer life.
With my passion for local news and my experience as a facilitator and motivator, I believe I will be successful in this new position. Believe me, I could have covered Hamden and North Haven for the rest of my life, but the Journal Register Co.'s New England regional editor, Matt DeRienzo, offered me this job. Being the editor of a small daily paper is something I've always wanted to do, so I'm going to do it now.
And for those of you concerned about my Sunday column, Inspirations, I still will be writing it. The column has become so much a part of my life -- and yours -- that I couldn't fathom giving it up. It has been running in the Middletown paper already, as those readers get the Sunday Register. Soon, it also will run in the Torrington Register-Citizen, our other daily paper in Connecticut.
How do you summarize years and years of stories upon stories of two communities you love? I think it's impossible, so I'll just say so long in a simple way.
To the people of North Haven, know that I've always felt a part of your special town. I've always appreciated how all of you pitch in to help when fellow residents are in need. Your compassion is outstanding.
And to the people of Hamden, my hometown. I will truly miss being your reporter, and I am very sad to leave. Know that I will always keep tabs on what's going on because, after all, Hamden is, and will always be, my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home